Being Present in the Funk

Saturday, October 4, 2014



When I started thinking about what I would write daily for this 31 Days series, being present seemed great. In my head that meant enjoying all of those awesome things about Mexico I have grown to love, pointing out the fresh flowers and colorful market fruits; sweet talks on our family walks and fun times with my students.

For some reason, I had in my head that being present meant only focusing on the good things, the things that make me and my family feel good. But that would be such a lie, wouldn't it, because life is not all flowers and colorful markets. I mean, sure, it's that stuff, but it's also tough interactions at work and figuring out moving logistics like U-Haul costs. It's making mistakes and owning up to them and even admitting when you'd rather go on Pinterest than play with your kids.

It's about accepting the funk that you sometimes feel you're in and not ignoring it away.

And if I'm writing about truly being present, then I've got to sit in that for a bit.

So here I am, being present in the funk. Not everyday is all bad, and I'm still working on noticing the good each day, but that's the present state James and I are in. Knowing so much transition is coming has taken over much of our minds. It's overwhelming, exciting, exhausting and hard.

But I'm reminded to be thankful and joyous even in these moments because it is here, in the funk that we are reminded of our humanness and the immense strength and awesomeness of the Lord. Who is greater than the funk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS